Saturday, April 19, 2008

Composing a song is very simple when you have the idea, the words, the melody, the harmony, and the skill. But when you lack any one of them, you are basically... stuck.

I have been downloading a lot of music lately, primary to feed my ears for more music. I find myself in a state of stagnance. No matter what I hit on the keyboard... it seems as if all are similar. And trust me, that is not something you would want to happen to you.

I need to write one more song to fill up my EP, but I have no idea how is it going to sound like, what will be the words, what will the message be.

There are times when I sit back and question myself the purpose of composing. Do I want to please myself, prove to myself that I can compose? Or do I want to use the messages I have within me to impact the audience?

That is when striking the balance is needed.

So there I was, sitting at the piano and these words came to me. I have no idea why these words, and I have totally no idea how will they turn out to sound like. But anyways, here are the words:

We had laughed at each other's jokes
Smiled at each other's looks
We had learnt to care to share
Though many times, unintentionally
We hurt
Each other with our words
We learn to accept
To understand

But things do change
That's the way life is
Don't you know that change can't be eluded
So why do you look away
When it is me who is near
Why do you cast a frown
When it is me who is near

This is just an idea. It has not materialized into a song. But looking at the direction of the words are going, I don't think this tentative song will be suitable for the EP.

I still need inspiration.

Perhaps it is due to the many months of composing songs for Entangled, the Music that had paled my ability to write songs.

Inspiration, where art thou?

No comments: